Monday, May 11, 2015

Week 94: Blessings: Count 'em

In the midst of a political crisis, in which the Vice President was caught up in a web of corruption called "La Linea" and forced to resign (sounds like somebody took a page out of the plot in Iron Man 3), Guatemala is still standing. It just goes to prove the point made in Mosiah 29: "For behold, how much iniquity doth one wicked king cause to be committed, yea, and what great destruction!" So, as the government is in shambles, the Gospel keeps spreading to the hearts of the people.
This last week set records for my entire mission as far as Lessons taught and people contacted...I'm telling you, Elder Taya and I are giving it our all right now.
And...As far as I'm concerned, I feel like our work is paying off. We are finding a bunch of families left and right, it's crazy, I don't even feel like it's that hard anymore to get into a house (not to be cocky or anything, but my area is really blessed). In short words: I am just having the time of my life here in Castillo Lara.
Zone Picture
So many things have happened during this week: we have been setting baptismal dates with two investigators who we feel like will progress. One of their name is Irma, she's 21, and was a reference from her next-door neighbor (coincidentally, our ward Mission Leader). We taught her for the first time on Wednesday, when I was on divisions with the Assistants. The whole day that we had was blessed, but that was what really capped it off, finding someone who I am confident will progress. Irma has the goal to be baptized for the 13th of June, and this next week will change her working hours so that she can go to church every Sunday.

Truly, all of the biggest miracles kicked off on Wednesday, when coming back from Divisions in Centro America (it's the name of the ward...I'm not referring to the part of our continent), my companion told me that the Assistants called that morning to say that we would be going on divisions ONCE MORE with them, and that I would be staying in Castillo Lara with Elder Pugmire. I would love to say that I was thrilled to receive the news, but mostly I was just stressed out of my mind. The good thing was that we had a good number of appointments planned and a whole lot of faith. We started around noon and after lunch we worked like crazy the whole day. We were able to have an incredible day, and visited a lot of families. A highlight was a lesson that we had with David and his wife Paola, where they revealed that they had received an answer that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God. Elder Pugmire complimented the effort that we are doing to try to teach Families...so that felt good.
The next day we didnt have very much planned, so Elder Taya and I decided that we were going to put the goal to contact 100 people during the day...it took us 4 hours to do it but it turned out well. What really made that day great was the fact that I got a package from home! Hi-Chews, School Newspapers and Bible Videos can really make a Missionary's Day.

On Friday we spent the day in Castillo Lara, the central colony of our area, when I came to this area it was our weakest sector but now we've got it up and running with a good amount of people to visit. That night we had our Missionary Coordination with our Ward Mission Leader Hermano Diaz (one of my favorite people in all of Guatemala). He was just called last Sunday and is very willing to magnify his calling. If he keeps it up with the fire he has right now he's going to be a miracle-worker. We came home after looking for a couple more lessons and talking to a few more people we decided to call it a day.
Saturday was...in a word...awesome. We had so much success, and now, not just in finding new investigators, but in seeing the families that we have already found progress. We ended the day with 8 lessons (a record for my mission!) and a good feeling, the kind that comes with a job well-done.
Sype Call
But...without a doubt: Sunday was the best day of the whole week. Namely because I received the best blessing of all: being able to talk to my family on Skype. I discovered that I am a total dork on the phone but I was also reminded about how much I love my family, and how blessed I truly am to be a part of them! It's always good to feel that there are people who are interested in your overall well-being, that love you, and that pray for you too. It being Mother's Day I just want to give another shout out to my
sign says: Happy Mother's Day Mom, Love you to the Moon and back!
Mom, who is the most remarkable person that I have had the pleasure to know (and that's saying a lot, because in the past 22 months I've met a lot of people). She is incredible and I am so grateful for the chance that my Heavenly Father has given me to be her son. Thank you so much Mom, I love you!
My family is doing well...and talking to them was the last of the 4 calls that I have made to them during my mission...
Another notable thing about that day was that in the middle of Elder's Quorum, Elder Ochoa of the 70 just walked in with his wife and daughter. Their surprise visit made the regular meetings go a little bit long, but he talked to us a little bit about Missionary work and how we can be more untied as a quorum.
It was a great week. I have no complaints...life is great. I am just getting more and more scared to think about how fast time is going...and how little time lies ahead.
But I'm not going to get down on that. There's nothing left to do but to work my heart out.
Have a great week!
Spiritual Thought: Part of our challenge is, I think, that we imagine that God has all of His blessings locked in a huge cloud up in heaven, refusing to give them to us unless we comply with some strict, paternalistic requirements He has set up. But the commandments aren’t like that at all. In reality, Heavenly Father is constantly raining blessings upon us. It is our fear, doubt, and sin that, like an umbrella, block these blessings from reaching us.

His commandments are the loving instructions and the divine help for us to close the umbrella so we can receive the shower of heavenly blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment