Monday, November 10, 2014

Week 68: Keep Moving Forward‏

This last week started off as calm as a late-autumn afternoon, our PDay was spent playing basketball in Jerusalen with the members of the Zona San Cristobal.
In doing so I established something.
I am rubbish at playing basketball.
I would just wander around the court, waiting for the ball to get close to me and then I would just get yelled at:
"Monson! Go and get on your man!" 
"Monson! Go and get the ball!"
"What the heck are you doing?!?!"
Needless to say, for me, playing sports isn't the biggest "morale-booster" in the arsenal of motivational techniques. The good thing was that it relaxed me pretty well, and when we got back to Panorama, Elder Simoni and I were ready to go out and work our hardest. The only downside was that we really had nothing to go on, all of the appointments that we had made just fell through.
So...monday wasn't that great.
On tuesday morning there was a leadership training meeting for all of the District Leaders and Zone Leaders in San Cristobal, Mariscal and Nimajuyu. It was actually a really good meeting, and I learned a lot of things about how to guide my district on to victory!
I'm convinced: My district is destined for glory, it's just inevitable, we cannot fail! I have some awesome missionaries here and they're all ready to work their guts out! I feel really good about this change.
The next day I held my very first district meeting. It was crazy. We talked about Captain Moroni and the title of liberty, and everyone in the district made their own banner (in the shape of a tie) which showed our personal motives for being a missionary and what things we are going to do to be able to fulfill with our calling as missionaries. At the end we made brownies, so that made things a whole lot better too!
After the meeting I went with Elder Kundie, my ZL, on divisions in Peronia. We had made the goal to set up 4 baptismal dates with 4 different investigators that afternoon, so we went out and started challenging everyone to baptism. One by one, people rejected, and rejected us...
"I'm not convinced" 
"I'm not sure" 
"I'm not home!" 
(In retrospect that third excuse really made like...zero sense...)
At the end of the day we can say that we definitely made an effort to set up a baptism date...but we just didn't see any results. So, defeated and tired as garbage, we went back to the house and made Macaroni and Cheese, (I bought it at the store, for two dollars a box....everything imported is over-priced). It was a nice blast of nostalgia as we sat and talked about things in Utah and things in the Mission, overall I really enjoyed the divisions and learned a lot from Elder Kundie, he's a great missionary.
The next day I was back working in Panorama...and we had an excellent day. Hour by hour, we were able to see miracles...the most prominent of which was when we went up to a neighborhood in the mountains. It's one of the wealthier parts of my area and we had gone there to dig up some old investigators. As we were walking, we heard a woman call out to us, "Elders! I need your help!" It was a mother, helping her 24 year-old paralyzed son out of the car and into his wheelchair. We helped lift him out and into his house, and when we did we invited them to listen to our message. They agreed. We felt prompted to talk about the Plan of Salvation, and upon explaining more on the subject, the son commented that his father had recently passed away and since then his relationship with God had been damaged.
His name was Jose and he said that he would be more than happy if we came back another day to talk to him.
That experience really strengthened my testimony that the Lord prepares the way so that his chosen children can come to know of the Gospel, even for our new friend!
The next day I went up to San Cristobal again on divisions with Elder Linford. The area has only gotten harder and harder since I left, and even though the missionaries there are trying their very hardest they are seeing very few fruits of their labors.
But it was fun to be able to work with my old comp again.
It was a great week as a whole, I saw a lot of miracles and my testimony was strengthened. A lot of good things are going on in my area...

 So we'll see how things go from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment