Monday, November 11, 2013

Week 16: Oh, there you are Perry



At the zone council this Tuesday, Elder Walters went to every elder and sister sitting at the table,
pointed at them and said, ¨Elder, (or sister) _____, ¿Quien es? (who is he)` He made his way around the circle and when it was my turn I was barely able to reiterate the ¨Un Hijo de Dios (child of god)¨ that everyone else was able to sputter out....which is true, but I didn´t feel fufilled.
Yes my friends, this week I had a nice identity crisis. The age-old question that has lingered in the heart of every man since the dawn of time....WHO AM I. And for a while this week I kind of forgot...the chains of resentment and tolerance had kind of made me irritable.
Who Am I?
But on the bright side...I`ve had a good deal of welcome ¨alone time.¨ Mostly in the mornings from 6:30 until 8:30. I`m counting the extra study time a blessing, it gives me time to read more and more of ¨Jesus the Christ¨ by James E. Talmage I`ve gotten to page 450 in two weeks and have soaked in every word. After breakfast I enjoy a nice session of Companionship Study on my own, fighting off the vexing inklings that bother my brain every time I pass over another picture in Preach My Gospel that shows two missionaries studying and working together in unity.
There you are Perry!
So I took things into my own hands.
If the Robot was malfunctioning, I was in line to reboot èm.
I tried as hard as I could to do what I was able to, plan everything, contact everyone and set up all the visits we would go on in the following week....one thing was for certain, I was not about to waste more time..
So as I put my shoulder to the wheel I started to experience more joy. This is the work of the Lord! This is his kingdom! I was ready to go and build it up!
And it was then that I started to find myself again. I know who I am, I know God`s plan! It was like in Phineas and Ferb, where the boys spend all day without their beloved platypus and finally after it all gets wrapped up, it walks into the back yard, ¨Oh, there you are Perry!¨
I started to laugh again and experience joy so...that was pretty neat.
Elder Tamayo and I




1 comment:

  1. I have another friend who's son is going through this exact experience! Jesse's companion is on the other end of the spectrum "I am the DL, I am in charge, you need to do everything I say." Missions can be learning experiences in so many different ways! What a great kid!!!

    ReplyDelete