Monday, October 28, 2013

Week 14: Divide and Conquer



DIVISIONS!
If I have nothing else to look forward to in my hectic life right now I can always take peace in the fact that I will have divisions at least once every week. And I`m sure you`re asking, what on earth is that? It sounds like a punishment more than a recluse...on the contrary, my dear friend, it`s a temporary 24 hour companionship exchange with the other missionaries in your district or zone.
matching watches!
You go to their area (or they come to yours) bid adieu to your comp and spend a day learning from the different teaching styles of more experienced Elders....there`s always so much that a person can discover with a different comp....and a different comp was exactly what I wanted...and needed for the time being.
The Lord knew that I needed a break so, I had divisions twice this week! The first time was with the Zone Leaders...and it was a testimony builder and a half! I made the trip down to the Capital and proselyted in their area with another missionary from Tooele, Utah (He goes to Stansbury), Elder Walters. The day was packed with visits and great food, and every corner we turned down the hand of the Lord was made manifest in our labors...we were always in the right place at the right time! Death in the family? Missionaries were there to teach the Plan of Salvation, Wanna know what church is true? Hey, whatddaya know, Missionaries. Random girl sitting across from us in a Pupusa (It`s like a tortilla MADE with cheese....I quickly deemed it my new girlfriend) Restaurant? Missionaries. At the end of the day it was just like a breath of fresh air, and a reminder of why I was out here in the mission in the first place.
On Thursday I definitely felt refreshed and ready to conquer a new day with my new comp in San Juan...and it wasn´t any ordinary day...It was my 3 mission month anniversary! Woo Hoo! Time sure flies out here in the field so much that I decided to write a poem about it to prove to myself that I`m not going to loose my English!
Allow me to share it with you:

Passerby: By Tyler Monson
Ugh! :)

Blink open your right now eyes
and realize that that moment just died.
Wading waist-deep in time`s own neglect
and treats your enemies with the same respect

Jostle and sway an the turns
of a hand-made highway
Scamper and dance across the pages
The cages are open, and ambition be paid

There are three passerby seconds
with the decadence of a sideways glance
Grasp ahold or snatch at threads
blink much more and we`ll all be dead

.....yup.
At that point I was anticipating another bout of divisions with Elder Bento, a Brazilian who`s about an inch taller than me (and I though I was too big for this country...). While we didn't have as much success as I did with the Zone Leaders it was still a welcome bit of relief.
So we divided...and how was the conquering? Frankly....devastating. After committing all of our investigators to come to Church....none showed up, not one...but someone very important did. The mission president. Unannounced, just sort of drove right up to the chapel and walked in like it was nobody`s business (like a boss). He and his wife spent the Sunday services with me and my comp...and asked to speak with Alvarez in private...
So, who knows, maybe I`ll see the fruits of that visit in this week.
I`m keeping a positive attitude...I have divisions again on Halloween.

our zone
-Elder Tyler Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment