Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Week 82: A Man (With or) Witthout Eloquence‏

This last week was very interesting.
In fact, that seems to be an understatement in all intents and purposes. There was just so many things that were brought to pass that I still feel kind of dazed and confused. All last week seemed to be just a big ol' whirl of events.
To start off with: My district is killing it. Everyone there is just motivated and happy to work their hardest. I feel so honored to have all of them serving with me. The sister missionaries of my ward are just on fire, every day they tell me about another miracle that has helped them to make their faith grow. The sisters in San Cristobal are finding new investigators...a lot of them...twenty of them! And Elder Prestwich and his companion are seeing the hand of the Lord in every thing that they do every day...finding people to teach in the least-likely of places!
We had a district meeting where we talked about how we should testify of the truth of the gospel as much as we can in our lessons, that way we invite the spirit of the Lord more abundantly in our teaching. I used the example of the conversion of Brigham Young as an example of what our testimonies can do:
When I saw a man without eloquence or talents for public speaking, who could only say, “I know by the power of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true, and that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of the Lord,” the Holy Ghost proceeded from that individual, illuminated my understanding, and light, glory, and immortality were before me. I was encircled by them, filled with them, and I knew for myself the testimony was true.
I love the thought that our own testimonies have the power to touch the hearts of men and to make them truly converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Elder Richard G. Scott said, "[A testimony] is the very essence of character woven from threads born of countless correct decisions." (October 2001)
In Panorama, we are seeing some miracles too! As we have tried to testify more in our lessons we have been able to reach our investigators in a more intimate and profound way, On Sunday, we had a lesson with a youth named Rolando. We brought him to the house of some members, two newlywed past-missionaries, Ruth and Abinidai. We talked about the restoration of the gospel and, after listening to the testimonies of this couple, the sprit was so intense in the room that I could literally feel what Brigham Young described. And we invited Rolando to be baptized and he accepted… with so much surety in what he said. He went home and told his next-door neighbor that he had just talked to the Mormons and that he wanted to be baptized.
Of course, his next-door neighbor happened to be our ward mission leader...and he quickly sent us a message to inform us about the good news.
I am firmly convinced that the Lord can help us to strengthen our testimonies so that we can help others to feel the power of our words...and our sincerity to bring to pass the salvation of others.
Life is good and the church is true. Today we went to the temple and I learned so much more about the plan of salvation than I think I ever have. So hang in there everyone, Life just keeps on rolling here in Guatemala...so I'm just along for the ride. No matter how crazy it gets, I know that the Lord is watching out for us in this mission...and I am ready for more! Have a great week, Happy (late) President's Day!









No comments:

Post a Comment